What to Bring

When you’re ready to talk taxes, it’s best to be prepared! Please gather and bring documentation on the following to your appointment:

General Information

  • This downloadable Blank Form for Tax Preparation
  • The prior year’s returns (only needed for new clients)
  • Social security or ITIN numbers plus birth dates for everyone on your tax return
  • Driver’s licenses or state-issued IDs
  • Estimated tax payments for the year
  • Voided check or account and routing numbers (only for direct deposit of tax refunds)

Documentation of Income

  • Wages and earnings (all W-2, W2G, 1098, 1099, and schedule K-1 forms)
  • Self-employment income
  • Stocks or property sold
  • Investment-related transactions
  • Scholarships or fellowships
  • Interest and dividends received
  • Social Security, State Income Tax refunds, and Unemployment Compensation
  • Lottery or gambling winnings or losses, prize income, and award income
  • Rental property income and expenses
  • Alimony received
  • Hobby income and expenses

Documentation of Expenses

  • Mortgage interest, real estate taxes, and personal property taxes paid
  • Federal, state, local, and foreign taxes paid
  • Self-employment expenses, including business rents paid
  • Cash and non-cash donations to non-profit organizations (churches, schools, and other charities)
  • Medical, eye care, and dental expenses
  • Tuition, educational fees, and student loan interest paid
  • Childcare expenses and the provider’s tax ID number
  • Alimony paid
  • Job search and moving expenses
  • Un-reimbursed job-related expenses (mileage, meals, lodging, travel, educator expenses, and parking)
  • Mileage records for volunteer work
  • Energy-efficient home improvements
  • Expenses related to business use of home (square footage, start date, purchase price of property, summary of utility expenses, relevant home improvements, direct office expenses)


  • Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (Form 1095-A) if applicable
  • Health coverage statements or marketplace exemption certificate if applicable

Retirement and investments

  • Year-end statements for IRA and 401-k
  • Purchase and sale of stocks or mutual funds

Comments are closed.